To: Michal Hanuscak <xarcmiso@savba.savba.sk>
Subject: Re: Polarizing filter on M6 (?)
From: Michael Volow <mvolo@acpub.duke.edu>
Date: Mon, 18 Mar 1996 09:00:49 -0500 (EST)
Cc: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us

The standard polarizer for 39mm thread M cameras is the swing polarizer.
The glass portion is hinged and swings into the viewfinder path son the
polarizing effect can be observed and adjusted. Then it swings back over
the lens for shooting. It is extremely clever and simple and works well.
There are at least two models for 39mm thread lenses, an earlier one
without a built-in sunshade (which I have); and a newer one with a
built-in sun-shade. The earlier one has a groove for clipping on an
external shade. I have heard that there is a larger model for Summilux
lenses which take a larger filter size.

The down side is that they are expensive (probably $70-140 depending on
model and condition) but they are worth it if you use polarizers.

I have heard a rumor that in the model with sunshade, it cuts off the
corners of the 35mm lens image, but I don't know if that is true. The
model without sunshade works for me on the 35/f2, 50/f2 DR, and 90/2.8
just fine.

> I want to ask if somebody is using polarizing filter on M6 ? In the
> "Handbook ofthe Leica system" on page 5-19 is mentioned Polarizing filter
> under order No: 13 352 (A 42) for E 39 screw-in filter size. In the J.
> Eastland book "Compendium of the M System" on page 177 is written that this
> filter is in special lens hood for M 50/2, M 90/2.8 and M 135/4 lenses.
>
> So you can't use it on M 35/2 and M 50/2.8 (collapsible)?
> Michal Hanuscak, architect; Podhaj 63, 841 03 Bratislava, Slovak Republic

Michael Volow, M.D. (mvolo@acpub.duke.edu)
Department of Psychiatry, Durham VA Medical Center, Durham, NC
919 286 0411 Ext 6933