To: saminad@amoco.saclay.cea.fr
Subject: Re: M35 f/2 vs M35 f/1.4 Asph
From: Charles Dharapak <cdhrpk@pipeline.com>
Date: Thu, 14 Mar 1996 03:34:25 -0500
Cc: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us

On Wed, Mar 13, 1996 6:22:15 PM  at Laurent SAMINADAYAR wrote:

>I'm looking for a serious comparison between 35 mm f/2 and 35 mm f/1.4
Asph.

For your reference, there are three 35 Summiluxes:

The 35 Summilux which is about the same size as the Summicron. Not so great
wide open.

The 35 Summilux Aspherical which is no longer made and very expensive.
($4000?)

And the 35 Summilux ASPH, which I believe you are asking about, which is
still being made, to my knowledge, and costs about $2500.

I haven't got test charts for you, but I could tell you from a user's
standpoint.

I have the Summicron and I find it to be great at all apertures.
Underexposed negatives still have discernable detail in the shadows. Very
compact, although I use it with the hood.

A co-worker has the ASPH and it's just spectacular, wide open, and all
apertures. Sharp and crisp. If I remember correctly, the ASPH is E46 filter
size, and about twice the length. The hood is OK.

If you can afford it, go for the ASPH. The ordinary Summilux isn't that
great, and you have to deal with a series 7 filter and that hood. The
Summicron is fine for me.

-- Charlie (cdhrpk@pipeline.com)

   "It ain't in the horn, man. It's only me." -- Charlie Parker