To: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
Subject: Re: Leitz 35mm lenses...
From: Eric Welch <ewelch@gp.magick.net>
Date: Fri, 08 Mar 1996 21:13:21 -0800

Wolfgang,

Thanks for the test report. I have seen a test of all available 35mm
lenses done by another person, and it's funny, the Nikkor rates way down
the scale. In fact, I remember a Pop Photo test done in the early 80s
that said the Nikkor was close to the old 35 Summilux in performance,
with the Leica being more consistent. So how does the Nikkor improve to
take on the Aspheric? <g> I'd be interested to see just how this test
you sent me was conducted. What was tested? Resolution? MTF? Something
else? I hope not flat subjects on a wall!

The test I refer to put it in this order: Aspheric, 35 Summilux R, Canon
35 f/2 (wow! I gotta have one for my EOS1n), 35 Summicrons (R & M), and
the rest goes along. The Nikkor is a quite old formula, no? Not that I
doubt that the tests conducted honestly or the results aren't what were
reported. I just don't put much stock in any tests that don't confirm
what I've learned from experience and talking to people who really use
the lenses. I'd like to hear more.

--
Eric Welch
Grants Pass, OR