To: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
Subject: Re: Advice Sought: Filters
From: "joe b." <joe@azurite.demon.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 5 Mar 1996 00:45:41 +0000

In message <199603041731.MAA08796@sachse1.msc.cornell.edu>, Wolfgang
Sachse <sachse@msc.cornell.edu> writes
>I want to buy some filters (yellow, orange and red) for
>my 90/f2.8 Elmarit (46 mm) and the 35mm-Summilux (39 mm).
>Does Leica sell filters? Experience with them? Where to
>buy them? (I live in Ithaca, NY which is centrally isolated.)
>
>Any other brands to look at? (Tiffen, Cokin,..??)

Leica make a limited range of filters, I can't remember which offhand
but it doesn't include warming filters, for example.

B + W make a huge range of good quality filters in all the right sizes
that are good to use on Leica lenses; their filter catalogue is a good
read on a rainy evening. The only problem with them is the lens caps
don't always fit snugly when the filter is kept on the lens, where with
Leica filters they generally do, in my experience. Thus for uv filters
etc I would generally try to get a used Leica one (we're talking about
expensive filters here) and use B + W for the filter types Leica don't
make. I'm sure Leica could tell you what filters they make now. They may
even list this in a current catalogue.

joe b.