To: "leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us" <leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us>
Subject: Leica...of the future...
From: Jack Hamilton <Jack.Hamilton@internetMCI.COM>
Date: Sun, 25 Feb 1996 14:08:21 -0500

-- [ From: Jack Hamilton * EMC.Ver #2.3 ] --

I have been watching this thread develop for the past couple of weeks...and
so I have an idea or two...and a forecast to throw into the "ring."

I think that "prototype" of the Leica of the future has come onto the
market...and it's termed "Leica Mini-lux."

Now I'm not talking about their $200-300 plastic "toys" that Leica refers
to as "Mini."

Rather, I'm talking about their titanium $1000 competitor to the lesser
"Contax." It features an excellent "electronic" rangefinder focus
system...in a view-finder system that even us bi-focaled middle-agers can
easily use.  And its 40mm f2.4 lens is no "slouch" and is every bit a Leica
lens as there ever was.

So, I think that you folks will happily find the Black Forest Gremlins
coming out with the "Leica CL2"...which will be a "deluxe" mini-lux with
interchangeable lenses.

These gremlins have mastered the art of designing and using German glass
and lens coatings and then supervising them being put into Japanese
(Panasonic) built bodies.

And it's a marriage that I don't think will end up in divorce court soon.

Sorry, but I don't think that Black Forest Gremlins will do away with the
classic "M" cameras...or drastically change them. For what they were
designed to do, they are still "world-class!"

I think that Leica was testing the waters with the "Mini-Lux" and you will
soon probably see the version of it with interchangeable lenses...and a
price tag competitive with the Contax G series.

...AND SO...

Enter the Leica CL2...

Cordially,
Jack Hamilton