To: Leica List <leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us>
Subject: Re: M6 Suggestion Box
From: Gary J Toop <gtoop@uoguelph.ca>
Date: Fri, 23 Feb 1996 15:01:09 -0500 (EST)

On Fri, 23 Feb 1996 Kalessin@eworld.com wrote:

> This kind of thread has been around before.
>
> All in all, although there are obviously a number of features and changes
> that would always be very nice, I'm quite satisfied with the Leica M
> rangefinder just as it is. If they really wanted to innovate, it would be
> wonderful if they could keep the quality, keep the design, and reduce the
> price by 50%.
>
> Now THAT would be a wonderful feature enhancement!
>
> Godfrey

	I would certainly say `amen' to that!  The M-6s are certainly
lovely cameras, but remain, alas, out of my price range.  Still, I'm very
happy with my M-3.

	However, if Leica were to ask me for my opinion on what changes
to make in an M-7, I would have some suggestions and some caveats for them.

1)  A faster shutter would be very nice, but not at the expense of the
freedom from vibration of the shutter and lightness and predictability of
the present shutter release.  Those are things which make my M-3
invaluable for the kind of low-light work and candids that I do.  I
would rather continue to get by with the present shutter than risk losing
those things.

2) Offer versions of the camera with M-4 as well as M-6 windows:  since I
am unlikely to use the 28 or 75 lenses, it would be nice to have the
option of a less cluttered finder image.

3)  I would second the suggestions that the camera have off the film
flash metering, some kind of dioptric adjustment eye-piece, and make it
possible to see in the viewfinder whether the meter is reading an over or
an under-exposure.

4) Keep it mechanical and keep it SIMPLE!

Gary Toop