To: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
Subject: Re: M6 Suggestion Box
From: Edi Weitz <weitz@math.uni-hannover.de>
Date: Fri, 23 Feb 1996 10:57:19 +0100

Adrian,

this sound like a nice idea to me - especially because we are approaching
the "photokina" in Cologne which will take place in September. Usually,
Leica is expected to present some new things there. (Maybe, this year they
will show a new SLR model???)

Commenting on your ideas...

>1) Redesign the rewind crank
>2) Make it possible to use the light meter without first advancing the film.
>3) Make the viewfinder a bit more friendly for people with eyeglasses.
>4) give some information in the
>viewfinder about what the area being metered is.

I would mostly support #4. I don't mind about the five extra seconds that a
slower rewind crank might need and I don't care about advancing the film
without shooting. Usually, my rolls of film are full within one or two days
and even if it takes longer I don't expect to have problems with the
springs. Your #3 really is a problem for many people (and I don't know why
Leica hasn't changed that years ago) but I choose to buy contact lenses
before I bought my M4-P... :)

5) Talking about the light meter I would love to have a real spot meter
instead together with the area information that you suggested.

Some other things might be fine but perhaps we shouldn't expect Leica to
change too much:

6) What about replacing the LEDs by a device that can tell you the deviation
(in stops) from the metered exposure? (Something like a

        -3 * -2 * -1 * 0 * 1 * 2 * 3

scale.)

7) What about faster shutter speeds? Nikon, e.g., has shown that 1/4000 is
possible with a mechanical camera, but I don't know if it is possible to
have faster speeds and retain the silent cloth curtain (which is a must for me).

Maybe after collecting our suggestions somebody should forward them to
Wetzlar. :)

Bye, Edi.

PS: I just read that there are rumors that Nikon, Canon and Minolta want to
present high-end 35mm rangefinder cameras with exchangable lenses at the
"photokina". Anybody else has information about that? (Not that I would buy
one of those...)