To: Tony Gamble <100113.1524@compuserve.com>
Subject: Prices in the UK
From: Adrian Tanovic <Adrian_Tanovic@genre.com>
Date: 19 Feb 96 14:23:41
Cc: Leica User Group <leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us>

I can corroborate your experience, Tony.  I did buy one lens in the UK, a new
28mm/2.8 Elmarit-M, and was happy with the purchase, but at the time
convenience was more of a factor than the price, which as I recall was
distinctly uncompetitive.  In fact, on my last trip to London in December I
priced the accompanying 28mm brilliant finder, the new version of which listed
for about L275 (firm price: as you say, they weren't interested in bargaining
beyond pointing out that if I bothered to fill out the forms I could get the
VAT back), and found I could actually get the same article somewhat cheaper
here in Japan, where it lists for Y36,000 at Yodobashi Camera, before
discounts.

Incidentally, the new 21mm and 28mm finders are now plastic-bodied and made in
Portugal.  A pristine vintage chrome 28mm finder was going for around L400 in
London.

Cheers,
Adrian Tanovic