To: <chucko@eskimo.com>
To: Leica List <leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us>
Subject: Re: to UV filter or not
From: Eric Welch <ewelch@gp.magick.net>
Date: Mon, 12 Feb 1996 23:44:53 PST

Addressed to: <chucko@eskimo.com>
              Leica List <leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us>

** Reply to note from  <chucko@eskimo.com> 02/10/96  6:46pm -0800
> Not too surprising that they recommend Hoyas, since they use some Hoya glass
> in their optics. I saw a pallet of blocks of Hoya glass at the Solms factory
> when I ran through it a few years back.

Yea, Leica buys a lot of glass. But most is from Schott. In fact, they sold their
own factory to a french firm. So even the Leica exotic glass that only they buy
comes from someone else now. But I bet their reserach lab is still coming out with
new stuff. But to keep prices down (relative) they have to outsource.

Glass is glass. It's the way you put it together that counts.

Regards,

Eric Welch
Grants Pass, OR