To: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
Subject: Re: leica zoom lenses
From: gang@mtdcr.mt.att.com
Date: Sat, 10 Feb 96 22:15:17 EST

>Dear fellow Leica lovers,
>    I have an R5 with several lenses and am thinking about buying the
>28-70 zoom.  I know it is a Minolta designed lens, but has Leica glass.
> I would greatly appreciate any comments anyone has about this lens,
>good bad or ugly.  My most often used lenses are the 35mm Summicron and
>the 24 mm Elmarit,which I like very much especially the 35mm.  Please
>also comment on other R lenses that you are fond of.

>Thank you,
>Mel Weinstein Santa Monica,California
>photog3@ix.netcom.com

The 28-70 zoom is not designed by Minolta but by Sigma and made by Sigma.
It is optically the same design as the Sigma 28-70UC, but mechnically more
metallic and has more Leica "look and feel", and supposedly passed Leica
quality control. It is as good as any zoom lenses. There is some distortion
towards the longer end. By the way, I paid $79.95 for my plastic Sigma
version 3 years ago.

g.huang
gang@mtdcr.att.com

Replies: Reply from pgs@thillana.lcs.mit.edu (Patrick Sobalvarro) (Re: leica zoom lenses)