To: Anand Mehta <amehta@mcs.net>, leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
Subject: Re: to UV filter or not
From: wilcox@umcc.umich.edu (Ken Wilcox)
Date: Thu, 8 Feb 1996 17:12:11 -0500

When shooting in the mist use it. In less hazardous conditions don't. :)

When I used lesser cameras, I always used UV filters. Now that I shoot
Leica, the only lens that has a UV on it is my 50 Summicron screw mount,
and only because it is a mint specimen. (I wonder what this says about me?)

If I'm shooting at a party, I'll put a filter on. I once had punch eat the
coating off one!

At 8:57 AM 2/8/96, Anand Mehta wrote:
>Hi all!
>
>I just picked up a new 90/2.8 Elmarit-M, and was suprised to find
>mention in the documentation the suggestion NOT to use a UV filter.
>As this has always been my habit in the past to protect the lens
>surface, I was wondering what comments you might have on this.  If
>there isn't that strong an optical case for it -- and I understand
>that reflections may occur, etc. -- I would prefer to use one as
>I occasionally find myself photographing in a mist, etc.
>
>Thanks for your opinions,
>
>-Anand
>
>--
>Anand R. Mehta