To: Jack Campin <jack@purr.demon.co.uk>
Subject: Re: Zeiss Hologon for Leica M
From: Michael Volow <mvolo@acpub.duke.edu>
Date: Sat, 27 Jan 1996 01:25:57 -0500 (EST)
Cc: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us

I use the screw-mount rangefinder coupled version of the Canon 19mm 3.5
lens. It's the widest reasonably priced WA one can put on an M (with M
adapter). It's a very good but not super lens, good sharpness but somewhat
low contrast wide open. They run about $700+900 used with finder depending
on condition.

One problem with the Hologon and even the 21mm 2.8 Elmarit is that
they're so expensive, one might be afraid to take them very far from home.

> > And for those of you who already have it: Is such a super-wide
> > angle lens really of any use for a viewfinder camera? Just curious...
>
> One of my favourite lenses is a Canon 19mm/3.5 that I use on Leica IIIa and
> Zorki screwmount bodies via an adaptor.  The lens is FL-mount, so there's
> no rangefinder coupling, but for a lens that short it doesn't matter.  It
> cost a lot less than a Hologon of any vintage.  This thing was intended for
> viewfinder use, even with Canon SLRs; it came with an accessory finder and
> you were supposed to use it mirror-up, it's a non-retrofocus design.  I don't
> jack@purr.demon.co.uk  -  Jack Campin, 2 Haddington Place, Edinburgh EH7 4AE

Michael Volow, M.D. (mvolo@acpub.duke.edu)
Department of Psychiatry, Durham VA Medical Center, Durham, NC
919 286 0411 Ext 6933