To: royzart@connix.com
Subject: Re[2]: Bakelite lens cases
From: COREY.LEVENSON@roche.com
Date: Wed, 01 Nov 1995 17:05 -0500 (EST)
Cc: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us

Hi Roy,
    Thanks for taking the time to respond to my quiery about the bakelite lens
case codewords.
    I am aware of the codewords you cited.  According to the codeword index at
the back of Rogliatti's book, BOOPV, BOORW, BOOSK were all "transparent plastic"
boxes for lenses while BDOOZ is referred to as a "black bakelite box for Hektor
135 mm lens (from 1954 transparent plastic)".
    You may be right that although the materials specification for the lenses
may have changed over the years (i.e. from bakelite early on to transparent
plastic in the mid-fifties) the codewords may have remained unchanged.
    I have product directories from 1949, 1953, 1954, 1955, and later and,
although the lens cases are mentioned, their material is unspecified.
    The bakelite cases I have are not marked in the way that the 1954 cases are
described. That is, the case for the wide-angle lenses is marked on the bottom
"2.8 Hektor 3.5 Elmar" (which may be a clue about when they stopped making them
since the 3.5 Elmar was not made after 1950, I think) NOT 28 Hektor, 35 Elmar/
Summaron and 50 Elmar.
    I know it all sounds kinda petty, but it's all part of that collecting
ailment.
    Thanks again for your interest.

Corey Levenson, Oakland CA.

P.S. Any clues on how to remove the battery from a "chico"?