To: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
Subject: great experience with camera overhaul by Don Goldberg
From: Mico Loretan <mico@rainbow.econ.virginia.edu>
Date: Fri, 29 Apr 1994 11:23:06 -0400
Cc: mico@rainbow.econ.virginia.edu

Greetings,

	Some months ago, I posted a query to this group, asking for
reputable places to overhaul an R3 body and several Leica-R lenses.
(These items had previously belonged to my father-in-law, they hadn't
been used in years, and had collected a lot of dust.  A careful exam-
ination of the equipment thus seemed to be a prudent step to take.)
I received some very good suggestions, and decided to send my equipment
to Don Goldberg in McFarland, Wisconsin.  (DAG, Don Goldberg,
2451 Thatcher Lane, McFarland, WI 53558, 608-838-4769.

	Don did a great job!  It turns out that the lenses were all
fine.  He did, however, suggest a complete overhaul and cleaning of
the R3.  He not only cleaned and checked out the body's mechanics, he even
replaced the front leatherette.  [It appears that sometime in the past,
the leatherette had come off, and somebody had glued it back on with
the wrong type of glue, which caused some minor shrinkage of the leather-
ette.  I would venture to say that only a Leica fanatic would even have
noticed this "flaw," but I'm glad that Don took care of it anyway!]

	Oh yes, what did this service cost?  I paid him $190.00, not
cheap, but I believe it's worth it, if one cares about using and
maintaining Leica cameras at all.

Sincerely,

Mico

Mico Loretan, Visiting Assistant Professor
Department of Economics, University of Virginia         Tel (804) 924-7845
114 Rouss Hall                                          Fax (804) 982-2904
Charlottesville, VA 22901            email: mico@rainbow.econ.virginia.edu