To: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
Subject: coating; replacement
From: Arthur Wouk <wouk@alumni.cs.colorado.edu>
Date: Tue, 26 Jan 1993 13:27:55 -0700

>Date: Tue, 26 Jan 1993 13:47:10 -0500
>From: Jeffrey Frey <jeff@eng.umd.edu>
>To: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
>Subject: Coating; replacement?
>

>I finally found a 50mm collapsible screw-mount Summicron mostly to my liking
>and bought it, but am having some second thoughts since there appears to be
>some cloudiness all over the front element.  This might be due to over-polishing;
>the lens does not seem to be otherwise abused (mechanically it is very nice
>and the mechanicals are nice and stiff).  Does one in such a case have the
>front element finely polished, then recoated?  Is it necessary to go back
>to Leitz for this, or is there a reputable craftsperson closer, maybe
>cheaper?

i have recently taken my summitar f1.5 to john van stelten of the
focal point here in boulder (address on request.) john only works on
german cameras, mostly for collectors. but he does lens work. i do not
know if he is cheaper than leitz, but i trust all his work.

john said it was cloudy, and the front element coating (a very soft one
originally) has not held up. he does lens work and would do the job
for about $100 (estimate.) they take the thing apart and repolish.

he says the clouding seems to come from the lubricant in the helical
mount. if the lens is left in a hot place (auto hot boxes!) the
lubricant vaporises and redistributes. not a hard thing to fix. the
grinding and recoating is most of the work.

anyone have any comments on what the fixed value of this lens would
be. i have seen shutterbug prices of $225  but shutterbug prices are
often 'creative". john  thinks about $175, but his estimate may be
low. (otherwise the lens is a 10.)

i might as well post john's data  he is used by the big collector
predators  who advertize in shutterbug in display ads, but he likes
individual work, since we are more likely to let him do the correct
job to bring the hardware up to its best. also we give him the time to
do it right.

The Focal Point
2741 Iris Avenue
Boulder CO 80304

303-444-5036

(i started using john's services in 1974, sixteen years before i moved
to boulder, by the way.)