To: leica-users
Subject: Re: Nice RFs
From: meastman@mv.us.adobe.com (Mark Eastman)
Date: Wed, 7 Oct 92 15:37:11 PDT
Cc: meastman@mv.us.adobe.com

David Bernard writes

  >Interesting, first I'm hearing about this.  The XA enjoys a
  >quasi-cult status, and I've been happy with the results I've
  >seen.  Can it be the lens or crfdr gets out of alignment?
  >I replaced an old Rollei 35s which had a very nice Sonnar 2.8
  >lens, but with seat-of-pants focussing, with the XA.

I always keep an Olympus XA in my pocket, I mean gosh, I might kick
myself if I saw the shot of a lifetime and I didn't have a camera.

I've found the lens to be pretty decent, a little fall-off in
certain situations and not so hot wide-open. But for the most part
not bad at all. I loaned this camera to a friend traveling to Munich
who upon arrival got about two frames exposed before he dropped it
into a creek!

I managed to have it "de-baptized" and the rangefinder is, as before,
not particularly easy to see, but far easier than any screw Leica and
it has a meter. Its a great carry around when traveling light,
so-to-speak and a good alternative to some of todays "think-free" point
n' shoots. I keep it away from the kids though, they think its a
race car :^).

- Mark
meastman@adobe.com