To: leica-users, meastman@adobe.com
Subject: Re: Need feeedback on M 90mm lenses
From: kbb0@gte.com
Date: Mon, 17 Aug 1992 11:41:46 -0400

> To: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
> Subject: Need feeedback on M 90mm lenses
>
> I'm trying to decide on which M 90mm lens is best for what
> I do which is mainly ersatz photo-journalism and a fair amount
> of street shooting. I find I will often make use fo f2 in low
> light situations (i.e. in a theatre, gallery reception, etc).
> I'm considering a 90mm lens. I like the 90mm f2 Summicron with it's
> built-in shade and it's faster aperture. However, it's a real HONKER
> in terms of it's size & weight compared to the 90mm f2.8 Tele-Elmarit.
> Does anyone have any insights on the major differences in the
> performance of these lenses wide open or in general that are worth
> mentioning?

I've tried using my M6/90mm Summicron for candid portraiture in low
light. My subjects are usually children.  When shooting wide open I had
a tough time getting both accurate framing *and* the zone of focus where
I wanted it. I tried the Summicron on an M3 and liked it much better
although I missed TTL metering. Since then I tried the 75mm Summilux on
the M6. For my eyesight this combination gives me more successful shots. I
found that for fast moving subjects in poor light I liked the larger
framing in the view finder. Now I use the 90mm for well lit applications
where I do not really need the max aperture. The Tele-Elmarit or Elmarit
would probably be fine for me to complement the 75mm/f1.4.

In Gunther Osterloh's book "Leica M: Advanced School of Photography" he
mentions that wide-aperture long focal-length lenses can be prone to
some flare when used wide open with bright sources in the picture frame.
This apparently disappears when the Summicron is stopped down one stop.
I haven't really noticed this effect myself.

> Thanks ahead of time,
>
> Mark Eastman
> meastman@adobe.com

Regards, Kevin