To: leica-users
Subject: Mary Ellen Mark & Fill Flash
From: adobe!meastman (Mark Eastman)
Date: Wed, 22 Apr 92 19:44:42 PDT
Cc: meastman

I've recently been blown away by the images by Mary Ellen
Mark in the book: Mary Ellen Mark 25 years, in addition to her
College Pictures in the current issue of Esquire Magazine, and
a very inspiring interview with her in the current issue of
Photo Metro (S.F).

At first I was somewhat put off by her images because I
mistakenly stereotyped her as another Diane Arbus. But seeing
more of her pictures and hearing her own words has helped me
get beyond that and respect her efforts alot more.

This book is well worth taking a look at and includes
both 2 1/4 format & 35mm work covering a number of her projects.

One of the things I've noticed from looking at the superb
reproductions of her images in the book mentioned above
is her mastery of fill flash. She uses it in a way that adds
something I can't quite explain but seems to add alot to the
image without the usual starkness of frontal flash  exposures.

Can anyone recommend some good texts that cover this technique
for black & white?

Please e-mail me directly: meastman@adobe.com

Thanks ahead of time,

Mark