[Leica] Light Lens Lab LLL lenses

Emanuel Lowi lowiemanuel at yahoo.ca
Wed Mar 6 17:05:52 PST 2024

I'll confess to being a fan of the LLL lenses from the start.
Why?
Because if Leica Germany is going to capitalize on re-cycling memes and details from its past, then it seems fair game for others to do so too.
At this point, 3rd parties have cloned several Leitz accessories, lenses and bits and pieces, usually equal in quality to the originals.
I love the LLL 35/2 8 element. It is easily the equal of the original, and far more affordable.
The 50/1.2 is equally so.
But the thing that really amazed me was the evidence I saw when I was able to play with a 35/1.4 ASPHERICAL (AA) clone prototype made by LLL recently.
This one is superior to the very pricey Leica original.
I should know. I bought one of the originals back in the late 1980s. It was a piece of crap. I had to return mine to Leica for a replacement, which was not much better. I kept it for years, but now I look forward to the LLL Chinese copy -- because it will be a better lens.
Soon, the far shores will clone a Leica M film camera. That must come sooner or later. I do not fear that.
Emanuel