[Leica] Leica M9 sensor corrossion

Frank Filippone bmwred735i at gmail.com
Mon Apr 15 12:08:01 PDT 2024

My M9 had a sensor cover plate that fell off.  It rattled around in the camera.  Leica did fix it, without cost, and it was replaced with a
non-corroding sensor cover.  So I have some experience with this problem.  The actual silicon sensor is in a very thick bathtub type ship carrier.
There is a glue layer ( think double sided scotch tape) that holds the cover glass to the bathtub.  My camera had a fault of this glue layer.  It is a
pretty easy fix to repair. Getting TO the bathtub might be a challenge, but after that, there is little that could go wrong.

KolariVision is a reputable sensor cover glass replacer.  I have had 2 cameras modified by them to do IR work.  They were quick.  Both cameras were
Nikon DSLRs.  I also own ( still) a Kolari modified Sony A7rii that had a ultra this cover plate installed for using M lenses on the Sony without
(minimizing ?)  corner color smearing.

The thought that there is a problem with contamination is pretty out there.... If I were doing the repair my self, maybe I could get something in
there that is a contaminant but a professional service takes precautions.  Clean room type laminar flow hoods, etc.

I would put my vote in for KolariVision.

BTW, you really need to do a fix.  The camera is almost worthless in its present condition. It is worth a bit less than $2000 when fixed.  Fixing used
to cost $1000 from Kolari.

And as an overall comment, it is really quite easy to spend someone else's money.

Frank Filippone
BMWRed735i at Gmail.com