[Leica] IMG: Lublin

Nathan Wajsman photo at frozenlight.eu
Tue Jul 4 14:56:26 PDT 2023

A couple of weeks ago I spent a few days in Lublin in eastern Poland. I was invited there by the local university to give some lectures at their international summer school. That part went very well. But what was truly special about this trip was to go back to my roots. My father was born in Lublin. The city was more than 1/3 Jewish before the war, and it was the major center of Jewish learning in Eastern Europe. All this came to an end in 1939, and the vast majority of Lublin’s Jews perished in the Holocaust. Among them was my father’s younger brother Natan, an uncle whom I never got to know. So this was more than an ordinary tourist visit. At the same time, Lublin is an attractive, vibrant town of 350,000 people, and it is a nice illustration of the new Poland that has arisen from the ruins of Communism after 1989. A gallery of 100 images is here:

https://www.greatpix.eu/Travel/Lublin/

photo at frozenlight.eu

http://www.fotocycle.dk/paws
http://www.greatpix.eu