[Leica] about NAS devices

Spencer Cheng spencer at aotera.org
Mon Oct 31 08:43:15 PDT 2022

Very good suggestions, Brian.

I’ll add a few more. This works for me. YMMV.

1/ Don’t buy cheap hard drives. I’ve had too many Western Digital and Seagate consumer HDDs fail on me. Seagate, in particular, went through a period of very high failure rates a few years ago. I no longer trust them. For NAS type of use, I now by WD Ultrastar HDDs (which use to be Hitachi Ultrastar and before that IBM Fireball) in 14TB or bigger in size when the price ($/TB) is reasonable.

2/ I no longer use RAID of any sort, not even RAID 1 (1:1 replication) because RAID disk rebuild when one disk is replaced has too high probability of failure for disks bigger than about 750GB. My version of RAID 1 is basically a 14TB Ultrastar HDD in a tiny backup “PC” connected to my NAS which has various HDDs and SSDs in it. Like Brian, important data is replicated to the backup “PC”.

3/ I use TrueNAS to run my NAS but I am a geek and I like to tinker a bit. I like ZFS rather than whatever file system commercial NAS uses, to achieve better data integrity. One thing TrueNAS/ZFS supports is is both internal and remote replication. I use both. I need to take my backup “PC” to my friend’s place and do all the firewall and remote configuration.

4/ ZFS allows me to encrypt the data on the NAS and the remote “backup” PC and still do remote replication. Not perfect since ZFS needs a bit of metadata at the remote end to enable remote replication but no decryption or encryption keys are stored on the remote backup.

5/ Never *EVER* buy 3.5” hard drives over the net and have it delivered if you care about reliability. This is the one thing I will always buy locally. The drive mechanisms in modern HDDs are delicate things. You don’t know how many times it got chucked around by the courier company(ies). I always go to a local shop and pick up in stock HDDs. Not a guarantee but much more likely they would drop a sled of HDDs delivering it to the store.

6/ Corollary to #5 is if you receive a HDD by mail from warranty claim, don’t put anything you care on it. Firstly, the warranty drives are typically returned drives which were re-tested and deemed acceptable by the manufacturer. Secondly, it’s shipped by courier to you which means it’s suspect even if it was perfectly fine leaving the manufacturer.

Regards,
Spencer