[Leica] IMG: Arnhem, 2004

Nathan Wajsman photo at frozenlight.eu
Fri Sep 24 11:56:27 PDT 2021

I just realised that this week is the anniversary of Operation Market Garden, the attempt by British and US forces to gain control over the Rhine bridges and thus advance into western Germany. Although as a by-product a couple of notable Dutch cities, Eindhoven and Nijmegen, were liberated, the operation was ultimately not successful. About 2000 Allied pilots and soldiers are buried in the village of Oosterbeek near Arnhem, and when I lived in the Netherlands between 2003 and 2007, I used to go to the cemetery to pay my respects. The first time was on the 60th anniversary of the Battle of Arnhem, in September 2004. I posted these photos in my weekly blog for that week, but it is now 17 years ago, so it seems a good time to share them again. I always found these visits to the cemetery very moving.

Some veterans come to visit:
http://www.frozenlight.eu/nathanfoto/paw/2004/2004_38alt1.jpg

A Polish pilot serving in the RAF:
http://www.frozenlight.eu/nathanfoto/paw/2004/2004_38alt2.jpg

Paying respects to comrades who did not survive:
http://www.frozenlight.eu/nathanfoto/paw/2004/2004_38alt3.jpg

A face:
http://www.frozenlight.eu/nathanfoto/paw/2004/2004_38alt4.jpg

Jewish pilot: