[Leica] IMG: Reclusive Monarch

Jim Nichols jhnichols at lighttube.net
Fri Sep 3 13:16:39 PDT 2021

Thirty years ago, when computers were getting involved in lens design, I
was shooting a Pentax Spotmatic.  I visited a consignment shop in Ft.
Worth and spotted a Soligor 35/f 2.0 lens in m43 mount, a FL I was
missing, so I bought it. I later learned that the C/D inscription meant
it was computer-designed. I decided today to take the lens out for a
spin.  (Did I mention that this lens focuses down to 1 foot?)  I spotted
two butterflies around the Buddleia, so I moved in closer and tried with
no success to get some images.  The smart insects managed to keep
foliage between themselves and the camera. Finally, I saw the Monarch
fly away from the Buddleia and I snapped in that direction.

I got a single image of the butterfly.

http://www.gallery.leica-users.org/v/OldNick/20210903-DSCF2691-Enhanced.JPG.html

I know my 50-200 Oly lens would have done a better job, but it wouldn't
have been a challenge.