[Leica] M1 Mac Mini, Anyone?

Howard L Ritter Jr hlritter at bex.net
Tue Nov 16 05:41:57 PST 2021

Unfortunately, the answer is No. I had hoped to do the same with my 5K Retina 27” iMac when I got my new 14” MacBook Pro with the M1 Max chip, figuring that machine’s capable enough that I’d be able to do without multiple computers if I could still have my iMacs’ displays. But Target Mode, as it’s called, isn’t built into current Macs, either as the primary machine or as the target.

From Apple Support: <https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204592>

24-inch and 27-inch iMac models introduced in 2009 and 2010
To use any of these iMac models as an external display:
The iMac used as a display must have macOS High Sierra or earlier <https://support.apple.com/kb/HT201260> installed.
The other Mac that you're connecting it to must have been introduced in 2019 or earlier and have macOS Catalina or earlier installed.

—howard