[Leica] Nathan's PAD 17/12/2021: inside Alicante's town hall

Nathan Wajsman photo at frozenlight.eu
Sun Dec 19 22:18:29 PST 2021

This is my response to the “Is anybody there” thread on the LUG. I am very much here, working, cycling and taking pictures every day.

The other day I was walking around in the centre to look at the Christmas lights, and found myself outside Alicante's town hall. The door was open and people were going in to have a look at something, so I did as well. And what I saw was a nice nativity scene display in the main lobby, with the figures made by local artists—this is very much a thing here, as evidenced by the poster of the association of “belenistas” (belén means nativity scene):
https://www.greatpix.eu/All/Picture-A-Day/i-DgSLhj7/A

The central detail:
https://www.greatpix.eu/All/Picture-A-Day/i-TTHhPgp/A

And a delightful bonus. At the bottom of the grand staircase the leads to the ceremonial rooms there is a sculpture of St. John the Baptist, made by Salvador Dalí:
https://www.greatpix.eu/All/Picture-A-Day/i-PzkXtnv/A

For readers in the US: you may be surprised at such religious symbols in a town hall. Spain does not have the kind of sharp legal separation of Church and state as does the US, so a nativity scene in a public building is fine. In practice though, religion intrudes much less on public life in this country than it does in the US.

photo at frozenlight.eu

http://www.fotocycle.dk/paws
http://www.greatpix.eu
http://www.frozenlight.eu