[Leica] the new normal

Don Dory don.dory at gmail.com
Wed Mar 18 06:02:26 PDT 2020

The issues down in Texas are somewhat different but the same.  While the
stores have bare shelves the deliveries and restocking is happening so
there are only hourly shortages.  Our idiot local government just closed
all the theaters, restaurants, bars, but not tattoo parlors, nail salons,
barber shops, beauty salons or other places of close personal contact.  I
say idiot because there was no support for all of the workers who mostly
are young and just getting started in life.  The restaurants and bars had
proposed methods of social distancing as wall as disinfectant protocols but
ignored.  Also ignored was insuring the wait staff for delivery duty or any
other public needs that could extend a lifeline.  No thought of hiring the
now unemployed to disinfect medical facility surfaces freeing up trained
medical staff for what they were trained for.  No thought at all about a
Civilian Conservation Corp. like program dedicated to public health.

I also say idiot local government as we have been hammered for a year about
the homeless and spent many, many millions of dollars on structures that
may some day provide shelter.  However, in the shutdown news conference
absolutely no mention of policies for the homeless.  So, maybe the most
vulnerable aside from older or immune suppressed citizens are being ignored
by the fools in power.

On the good side take out/delivery is still available(I know 3-5 day
viability of the virus on hard surfaces) so some of the kitchen staff will
struggle on with some income.  As I mentioned yesterday some musicians are
stepping forward with on demand delivery of music so the better imagined
musicians will survive.  There is good neighborhood traffic as people are
out and about walking dogs, visiting at a distance with neighbors and
ignoring the idiot government regulations and going to parks to play with
their children.  I have seen decent sanitation efforts being performed on
playground equipment.

We will see if the fractured American government can talk to each other
enough to get the money being discussed into the hands of the newly
unemployed so they can hang on however many weeks this goes on.  Hopefully
all involved can remove dream wish list wants from legislation and just get
pared down aid to those who need help.

Also on the good side are hiring by the delivery firms to deliver goods and
services which will help some with the newly unemployed.  Also, with the
local schools and universities switching to remote learning possibly that
endeavor will become more permanent. The motivated can take additional
education of interest on line and improve their lives.  The offerings may
be far more diverse than what an individual institution can offer on site.

For the Luggers who feel that they are not at risk I suggest that we go out
and document the people and places around us that are being impacted for
posterity.  The current virus is not as deadly as it could be but the next
one may be far more lethal.  Lessons learned now may pay off if anybody
listens or remembers history.

All the best.