[Leica] back in California

Douglas Herr telyt at earthlink.net
Tue Mar 10 19:13:54 PDT 2020

I've returned from a month away from home to find the early springtime, so I visited one of my old haunts.  Bordered by the American River one side and homes on the other, Ancil Hoffman Park is a pocket of open space in the midst of suburban Sacramento County.  The park is part golf course and part nature preserve; three guesses where I spend my time.

Up until a few years ago I visited the park regularly but for reasons unknown to me I stopped visiting.  I suspect I was just occupied exploring other areas.  Whatever the reasons, I visited again last week and was rewarded with several delightful wildlife encounters.

Western Bluebirds have fresh spring plumage and were preoccupied with catching bugs, so with some patience they allowed me within camera range

http://www.wildlightphoto.com/birds/turdidae/sialia/siamex34.html

a Coyote gave me a few minutes of his time

http://www.wildlightphoto.com/mammals/canidae/canis/canlat06.html
http://www.wildlightphoto.com/mammals/canidae/canis/canlat07.html
http://www.wildlightphoto.com/mammals/canidae/canis/canlat08.html
http://www.wildlightphoto.com/mammals/canidae/canis/canlat09.html

and a California Towhee paused from its feeding routine for a portrait

http://www.wildlightphoto.com/birds/passerellidae/melozone/melcri12.html

The oak woodland of the park is perfect habitat for Red-shouldered Hawks and with patience and a bit of luck a few photos are possible

http://www.wildlightphoto.com/birds/accipitridae/buteo/butlin11.html
http://www.wildlightphoto.com/birds/accipitridae/buteo/butlin12.html
http://www.wildlightphoto.com/birds/accipitridae/buteo/butlin13.html

and finally it's turkey time in California

http://www.wildlightphoto.com/birds/phasianidae/meleagris/melgal25.html

All comments are welcome.

Doug Herr
Birdman of Sacramento