[Leica] IMG: Woodpecker Comparison

Jim Nichols jhnichols at lighttube.net
Wed Jun 10 09:18:56 PDT 2020

I was puzzled by the line separating black and white areas in my
woodpecker photo posted yesterday.  After pondering it over night, I
went back four years for another woodpecker shot made with the same
camera and lens, but in mid-day overhead lighting.  A similar separating
line can be observed, but it is a neutral gray and is hardly noticed.
In yesterday's late afternoon shot, the low-lying sun can be seen
reflecting off bright parts of the feeder.  I believe the sun is
reflecting off the line in the feathers, giving it a golden tan color.
So much for the "golden hour" always giving good pictures.

Mid-day image:

http://www.gallery.leica-users.org/v/OldNick/20170422-DSCF1666.JPG.html

Late afternoon image:

http://www.gallery.leica-users.org/v/OldNick/20200609-DSCF1835.JPG.html