[Leica] A photo of my mother

Brian Reid reid at mejac.carlsbad.ca.us
Fri Jul 17 14:01:58 PDT 2020

On 2020-07-17 12:09 pm, Aram Langhans via LUG wrote:
> ... Have you noticed that the Q2 RAW files are
> really nice, better than the Q2 JPEG files?  I did a comparison with
> my Nikon D750 and was amazed.  Begs the question does Leica apply a
> lot of magic dust to the RAW files?

As far as I know, the RAW file is literally that--the raw output of the
sensor before any dust is applied. The computer inside the camera then
generates the JPEG from the RAW. And might not do a very good job of it.

I delete the camera-generated JPEG files as soon as I upload the images.
I work only with the RAW, and I use Lightroom or Photoshop to make a
JPEG if I want one. I think I remember reading in the Q2 manual that you
can set the quality of the generated JPEG; maybe yours is set to be low.