[Leica] Price of each M9 photo...but there comes a point where...

Mark Kronquist mak at teleport.com
Tue Feb 18 14:11:51 PST 2020

The ability of the camera (system) to deliver satisfactory images to the user year after year makes the upgrade process in itself obsolete

I regularly shoot with ancient digital cameras...

Nikon D3 FX Bodies (a couple with sky high counts most recent addition was a year or so ago $250...)
Nikon D700 Body (originally a back up for my then new D3 same sensor…now waaaaaay over spec life with 1.2m shots)
Leica M9 Bodies (one with new sensor one with original sensor average 30K)
Leica M8-2 Body these days mainly B&W (thanks BR)
Fuji X Pro 1 s (three- two beat to crap one pristine upgraded firmware)
Fuji X100 (upgraded firmware)

Any one of these bodies can generate superb 13 x 19’s from my stack of Canon Pro-100 printers…the D3s and M9s were the backbone for a couple coffee table books on Oregon wineries

Nikon D4 FM 16 MP why bother upgrading? Video? (I use Fujis for the rare occasions when I need it) No…maybe D6

M10r maybe sensor difference may be big enough (when I need sky high ISOs I use Nikon or Fuji) reason to upgrade (but I do like the M9 CCD colors)

Fuji X Pro 2/3? Why?

Better to put the upgrade money into a kit of lenses or a trip where you use them…

Does the average iPhone toting Joe or Jane look down upon me for using an “ancient” M9 or D3 or XPro1? Nope

Drive them until the wheels fall off...