[Leica] Is the 28/35/50 Tri Elmar a retrofocus design?

Mark Rabiner mark at rabinergroup.com
Mon Feb 17 07:34:14 PST 2020

Probably no symmetrical, non retrofocus glass made by Leica since the M6 in 1984 had a meter in the camera working through the lens making for a sensor path which was in the way of the classic  Schneider 21mm f3.4 Super-Angulon lens for years the wide angle to beat and it didn’t seem likely it was going to be beat by a retrofocus design which were always looked upon as garbage until a very few years ago when they got a new PR agent named Bernie. Classic Symmetrical wide angle glass protruces way into the camera and often hardly pokes out the front much at all. They are often very tiny in total size a small fraction of the modern retrofocus being used on cameras now which look like 90mm lenses some of them.

--

Mark William Rabiner
Photographer