[Leica] IMG: 6 inch reflector

Howard Ritter hlritter at bex.net
Mon Dec 21 07:36:20 PST 2020

Douglas,

Don’t be deterred by light from your neighbor’s house! If you have a clear shot at the planets’ location as of twilight, go for it! Or rather, don’t go…to a better location. In terms of light pollution and planetary viewing, no location is better than another – Jupiter and Saturn are bright enough to be seen under any conditions of light pollution. In fact, the best time to view them (to reduce contrast) is as soon as you can make them out in fading twilight. If you know exactly where to point your scope, they can even be seen shortly before sunset.

I had the opportunity to use a pair of those Fujinon binoculars mounted on a reclining and swiveling chair at the Oz Sky Safari in rural Australia a couple of years ago. Talk about splendid excess! Mine are mere 100mm binoculars from the German firm APM. I’ve attached a photo of my small and medium astronomical optics in the hope that it will make it to your personal email in the BCC list.

Also, I’ve added a couple of more versions of the Orion image to the album <http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/hlritter/Nikon+Astro/>, these from stacked-and-combined frames to reduce noise.

—howard