[Leica] How to capture gloom

Adam Bridge abridge at mac.com
Wed Sep 25 13:32:08 PDT 2019

Last week I was shooting in a redwood forest that was, for the most part, quite dark and yet there was also quite a bit of light in areas. In another location the entire forest was in deep shade and in another I was walking down a narrow defile with bright sky overhead but shooting wide open I was still at ISO 1600.

None of my photos convey what I saw in any of these cases. I tried pushing the exposure down which didn’t do the job. And I have played with the images in Lightroom, Photoshop to little effect. That sense of darkness and light just isn’t there.

Any ideas about how to capture this? I’d appreciate your thoughts.

Adam Bridge
Davis, CA