[Leica] IMG: Oak Tree Story

Jim Nichols jhnichols at lighttube.net
Thu Sep 19 13:40:03 PDT 2019

When we purchased this lot, over 50 years ago, it had 8 or 10 oak trees
on it, of a variety known locally as Blackjack Oak, not noted for its
longevity.  Some were lost in siting the house, others because they
became  a threat to the house as they grew older, so that only two
remain.  Replacements have been Tulip Poplars, which should last a while.

I recently noticed that the oak in the back yard has a lightning track
down one side from an old strike  at some time.  And, alongside the
scar, a patch of fungi has taken up residence.  I finally caught the
light right to get a picture of this tree marking.

http://www.gallery.leica-users.org/v/OldNick/20190919-P9190153.JPG.html

Not quite in the class with Don's Austin oaks, but it will have to
suffice for today.