[Leica] Thoughts on the "new" M-240 Grey at 3500 GPB

Frank Filippone red735i at verizon.net
Tue Jun 25 12:15:04 PDT 2019

 This may help to get new M people into the fold, but taking a different approach to this camera's announcement.....
When Leica had the specific 24MP sensor developed for them, and as part of any IC development, they committed to a certain run of wafers, a quantity of XYZ pieces.  This was good because they had a guaranteed supply.  This was bad because they needed to pay for all the sensors manufactured. Yield goes up, you have to take more than you plan.  If they had extra sensors after their production of so many planned M240 sensor cameras, or you cannot sell as many as you thought, they have to a) scrap them and take the financial loss, or, b) figure a way to use them past their original intent.  I suspect the problem is that they have too many sensors and no where to put them.
The fact that a 24Mp sensor camera is being sold for $5K++++++ with lenses that cost $3K++++ means getting someone into the Leica system is HARD.  Remember that you can buy a Sony A7riii for about $2800 ( 40++MP) and lenses are less than $2K each.  And you get WYSIWYG, AF, a more sophisticated metering system, IBIS, pretty great optics, and spare batteries are like $30 each.  In this aspect, I think new conversions are pretty low.  M's are HARD to use.

I think the major target market for this camera is existing M users that want/need a low cost second body.  Or they wore out / dropped / destroyed their first body, or the sensor corroded on their M9 and want to use their lenses ( which they already bought) still.  In effect, the SL, M240 and M10 line is being phased out and this is the alternative to taking a loss on the remaining high cost of materials they have already purchased.  Especially important if your otherwise good financial position has deteriorated.

Maybe the good news is that this announcement is a predecessor for the announcement that they will soon offer a M with 40+++++ MP of sensor goodness.. like the Q2...... But with a M lens mount.  ( I do not understand why a top of the line 40MP++ sensor is first announced in a camera that is not their top of the line camera rather than their new P+S model.  IMO a ridiculous rookie mistake).

Can you imagine an M11 with EVF ( focus accuracy) that uses the lenses you already own, even at 24MP no less at 60+++MP?Can you imagine a SL2 with a 60MP Sensor?
Or, my personal favorite, a Digi-R replacement body  using that same 24MP sensor?

Now THAT would sell to their existing base like crazy.   It is an exciting time....

Frank FilipponeRed735i at verizon.net