[Leica] Leica: 100 Jobs lost

Paul Roark roark.paul at gmail.com
Wed Jun 19 08:19:38 PDT 2019

On Tue, Jun 18, 2019 at 9:11 PM Nathan Wajsman <photo at frozenlight.eu> wrote:

... the Leica boss also talks about the “second digital revolution” where
> the quality of the picture is determined more by software than by the
> quality of the optics, ...

If you have not tried/purchased Topaz's AI Gigapixel ("AIG"), you may be
missing this revolution.  I, personally, carry a WATE and 50mm
Apo-Summicron.  Those two can give me (with the help of AIG) gallery
quality files covering the 16 mm to 100 mm range, which is where I find
most of my landscape images are found.   (With the Apo 50, I can probably
go beyond a 2x expansion.)

One interesting thing to note is that the depth of field of a shorter lens
that is expanded.  For example, a 50mm covering the 100mm image crop gives
a better/broader depth of field than the 100mm lens.

What AIG cannot do is sharpen soft corners -- as, for example, produced by
the Leica MATE.  The image going in has to be reasonably good.  Garbage in,
garbage out still applies.

Paul
www.PaulRoark.com