[Leica] Wolf Moon eclipse

Howard Cummer hcummer at gmail.com
Tue Jan 22 07:50:17 PST 2019

Very nicely done,
TFS
Howard

Date: Mon, 21 Jan 2019 22:15:16 -0500
From: Howard Ritter <hlritter at bex.net <mailto:hlritter at bex.net>>
To: Leica Users Group <lug at leica-users.org <mailto:lug at leica-users.org>>
Subject: [Leica] Wolf Moon eclipse

Photos of lunar eclipses aren?t very interesting unless they?re part of a secquence, or taken at very high resolution and large scale through a telescope, or incorporate foreground elements, or have some ofther noteworthy aspect.

I took a few shots last night using a Nikon 810A and 80-400 Nikkor zoom. The Moon was practically overhead, so no foreground features, and I didn?t have access to my telescope, so I tried for something worth posting, a (relatively) wide-field composition at a FL of 95mm at full eclipse, when the Moon was dim enough to allow a long enough exposure to capture some background stars, notably the bright Castor and Pollux, the ?twins? the constellation Gemini.

After about the middle of the eclipse, after midnight east coast US time, I quit. The temperature was ?2? and falling. I went into the hot tub out on the patio under the beautifully clear sky and watched with naked eye and binoculars as the Moon emerged from the Earth?s shadow and Orion began heading for the southwest horizon. Lovely. There was ice in my wet hair, but supplemental warming was accomplished with a wee dram o? Lagavullin.

http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/hlritter/astro/Lunar+Eclipse+with+Twins.jpg.html?g2_fromNavId=x412decf7 <http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/hlritter/astro/Lunar+Eclipse+with+Twins.jpg.html?g2_fromNavId=x412decf7> <http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/hlritter/astro/Lunar+Eclipse+with+Twins.jpg.html?g2_fromNavId=x412decf7 <http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/hlritter/astro/Lunar+Eclipse+with+Twins.jpg.html?g2_fromNavId=x412decf7>>

Please view large and in a darkened room to get the full effect of the fainter stars. C&C welcome. Thanks for viewing.

?howard