[Leica] URL: Don McCullen

Peter Dzwig pdzwig at summaventures.com
Wed Feb 6 14:01:18 PST 2019

I saw him speak at Photo London a few years back and have seen numerous
documentaries about him. At PL I felt I was in the presence of a great
(I don't use the term lightly) photographer, but one who isn't very
comfortable in the limelight.

For myself I thought the BBC4 documentary showed him much more
sympathetically than most others I have seen.

There was also an interview with Mariella Frostrup (apparently they are
neighbours) before Christmas where he talked about his landscapes.

in the case of the Today interview the other morning. I felt that
because interviewer and interviewee had things in common McCullin was
more relaxed. He and Frostrup have been neighbours for some twenty years
too.

Peter

On 06/02/2019 06:42, Gerry Walden via LUG wrote:
> I watched Don McCullin on BBC4 and there is no doubt that he has a great eye but it is no good, I just cannot warm to the guy at all. I am afraid I regard him as a self-promoter and feel he often exploits his subjects (but then I guess all street photographers do to a greater or lesser extent). I met him once at a RPS lecture and book signing.
>
> Gerry
>
> Gerry Walden LRPS
> www.gwpics.com
> +44 (0)23 8046 3076 or
> +44 (0)797 287 7932
>

>> On 5 Feb 2019, at 12:31, Peter Dzwig <pdzwig at summaventures.com> wrote:
>>
>> There have been quite a few programs on British TV and Radio recently
>> about Don McCullin. He has a major retrospective at Tate Britain of some
>> 275+ images:
>>
>> https://www.tate.org.uk/whats-on/tate-britain/exhibition/don-mccullin
>>
>> Here are some other examples. I'm aware of viewing restrictions from
>> outside the UK but if you can take a look/listen to these:
>>
>> There's a radio interview (13 mins) with him here with John Humphrys who
>> worked alongside him at one point and you can download it as a podcast:
>>
>> https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p06zq4jj
>>
>> and an hour long TV programme here
>>
>> https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/m0002dv0/don-mccullin-looking-for-england
>>
>> Peter
>>
>> On 03/02/2019 12:50, John McMaster wrote:
>>> https://www.theguardian.com/artanddesign/2019/feb/03/don-mccullin-giles-duley-photography-retrospective-tate-interview
>>>
>>> john

>> --
>>
>> Dr. Peter Dzwig