[Leica] IMGs: Liffey Swim 2019

Douglas Barry imra at iol.ie
Mon Aug 5 16:24:57 PDT 2019

Here are some images from the Liffey Swim - a 2.2 kilometre race that
for the past 100 years has made its way down the river Liffey as it
passes through the centre of Dublin on its way to the Irish Sea. As the
river is not exactly the cleanest place to swim, although it is the most
iconic, the races are held when the tide is high, and thus pollution is
minimised. An old joke goes "How many prizes are there in the Liffey
Swim? First Prize, Second Prize, and everybody in the race gets the Turd
Prize".

There are two separate races for men and women as the races are
handicaps and can become a bit of a melee passing under the twelve
bridges on the course. With the handicapping system, the slowest go
first, and the fastest last, so the aim is to have all the swimmers
arriving at the finish line at the Customs House together. While such a
scenario never actually happens, this can create a problem going under
those bridges where the span is made up of narrow and low arches. Legs
and arms trash in the competitive frenzy. Goggles and swim hats can be
kicked off in the scrum, and it's not unheard of to hear of displaced
dentures sinking to the bottom.

While I did triathlons myself back in the '80s which involved long sea
swims, I have never done the Liffey Swim, but as a 70 year old finished
third at the weekend, maybe there's still time :-) I haven't even been
spectating at the Swim for fifty years as the last time I saw it was in
the summer of '69 when I was working in Webbs bookshop on the quays, so
my knowledge of its photographic vantage points was limited. As I had
put my Pentax adapter in a safe place I couldn't use the 200mm lens and
had to use my Sonnar 55mm f1.8 to get max sharpness.

Here are some images from the day. Click on The Liffey Swim in this
album http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/DouglasBray/Sport/

Douglas

who found the Pentax adapter almost as soon as I got home...