[Leica] Monday Misc.

Jim Nichols jhnichols at lighttube.net
Mon Apr 29 12:53:21 PDT 2019

Philippe, I'm not sure how brake linings and pads are fabricated today,
but, when I was a teenager, and even into my young adult years, they
contained asbestos fibers.  I can recall seeing mechanics using
compressed air nozzles to blow a cloud of dust from drum brakes when
doing brake overhauls.  I've done a few, but, without a compressor, I
did a lot of wiping.  As I got older, I got smarter about such
materials.  I have no lung problems, probably because I have never
smoked.  After watching my Dad suffer from emphysema, I wanted no part
of that scene.

After years of supervising the operation of large, noisy compressor
systems, my biggest problem is hearing loss.  Although I used hearing
protection much of the time, the accumulation took its toll.  But, life
in old age ain't all bad.