[Leica] New Leica!

Jeff Moore jbmmllug at jbm.org
Tue Apr 2 13:32:56 PDT 2019

On Tue, Apr 2, 2019 at 4:19 PM Mark Rabiner <mark at rabinergroup.com> wrote:

> Wow!! comparing a Leica SL with an Olympus OM micro-4/3s as if they're not
> a million miles apart.
> 1. Both take pictures
> 2. When you look at the pictures you can see them
> 3. Having seen them you can then delete them, print them or email them to
> a friend
> 4. Sometimes the background is out of focus on some of the pictures.

..and yet the OM had a better user interface than the SL in several ways.
It didn't get in the way of taking manually focused pictures efficiently.

I'm guessing  the camera you get out of a box of Cracker Jacks is not as
> good as a Six Grand $ chunk of brilliant and innovative German engineering
> and design!
> What was the middle part again?

You don't get the 2-grand OM-D E-M1 Mark II from a snack box either.

I also had a recent full-frame Canon, the latest 5D version, in the mix
there.  Canon is a serious company with far greater resources than Leica in
a number of ways.  It was not completely unreasonable to suspect that it
might compete technically with the SL, which has not had a sensor refresh
since it was introduced in... what, 2015?

I did not prefer the 5D images to the SL images, however.