[Leica] New Leica!

Jeff Moore jbmmllug at jbm.org
Tue Apr 2 08:40:11 PDT 2019

On Tue, Apr 2, 2019 at 11:25 AM Brian Reid <reid at mejac.palo-alto.ca.us> wrote:

> Alas, I've never touched an SL. The only cameras I've ever used that
> have digital zoom are various Lumix and Powershot models.

Ah.  And they would actually have "digital zoom" (pre-selected
cropping of their images which the camera designers assume you'll
autofocus) as opposed to digital magnification for manual focus (as
found on interchangeable-lens EVF cameras for which mounting
manual-focus lenses is a use case the designers expect).

Brian, just for giggles maybe try renting an SL (plus the adapter to
bolt on your favorite M glass, or R glass if you have some) for a week
to see how it feels to work with it.  Lensrentals.com definitely have
some.

After some years of disappointments with succeeding generations of EVF
cameras (one recurring problem being that the viewfinder image always
lagged behind reality, making trying to capture a specific moment
infuriating), the SL was a revelation: no perceptible lag!  And
excellent image quality, better than my M240.  I don't believe the SL
is alone these days in not-lagging, but it was the first camera I
tried which had fixed the problem.