[Leica] 2017 solar eclipse

Howard L Ritter Jr hlritter at twc.com
Sun Sep 9 20:09:59 PDT 2018

Last year my son and I drove to nearby Murphy, NC, right on the centerline of the August “America’s Eclipse”. I took a multitude of photos with a Nikon D810A and Nikon 80-400 zoom @ 400 mm, using a metallized glass filter except during totality. I posted some of those individual images to the Gallery a year ago.

I finally got around to putting together a montage that I’m going to make a very large print of, probably 2 x 3 feet, for wall mounting somewhere. I thought I’d share the result:

http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/hlritter/Eclipse/EclipsePosterGallery.jpg.html <http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/hlritter/Eclipse/EclipsePosterGallery.jpg.html>

The left-hand image of the totally eclipsed Sun was a long (1/80 sec) exposure to capture the faint outer tendrils of the Sun’s corona, and was histogram-stretched and contrast-enhanced in Photoshop to visualize as much detail as possible. The image on the right was a short (1/1000 sec) exposure to capture detail in the inner corona and two magenta prominences on the right solar limb.

When I learn more about stacking, I may be able to get a single image that shows it all.

Please view large!

C&C welcome.

—howard