[Leica] IMG: some film portraits

Frank Filippone red735i at verizon.net
Wed May 9 19:07:55 PDT 2018

I must admit that I am perplexed by the way the discussion has gone.

everyone seems to be talking about grain, whereas the idea of tonal representation seems unspoken.

I see the same when it comes to B&W vs Color.  The discussion quickly turns to grain issues....

To me the differences are digit-able.    If you want grain, go get a program that creates the knd of grain you want and digitally alter iyour images in the way your inner artist wants.  The source can be digital, or film, it really is all about the “look”.

For years, MacBeth produced a color chart that you shot first, then your subject, then altered your prints to match the chart’s colors,, thus producing a match to your original product colors. Ditto to the idea of B&w “colors” or tonality.

Does any one do this any more?  I haven’t heard of this method since the digicam came on the scene.....

Frank Filippone