[Leica] road trip - Jayanand

Philippe photo.philippe.amard at gmail.com
Mon Jan 29 04:17:20 PST 2018

> Le 29 janv. 2018 à 12:48, Jayanand Govindaraj <jayanand at gmail.com> a écrit :
>
> In many cases, mine for example, that is an expensive proposition - the
> camera defaults to the speed of the slower card, so for birds, wildlife,
> etc, you end up buying double the number of expensive, high speed cards
> (XQD, CFast and/or SD UHS II, depending on your system), which typically
> retail at around US$75 for a single 32 GB card

The Amazon guy just delivered a bunch of 32 gb cards at 14€ a piece - lost in the overall cost of the trip

> (which is what I generally
> use, higher capacities are little more cost efficient). Simpler to have two
> gizmos to download into at the end of each day, and reformat and reuse the
> cards. Of course, you can shoot RAW/JPG Fine on a faster/slower card combo
> without penalty, but then your backup is JPG.

No, sorry. You can copy one card onto the other - I just checked in the owner’s manual

> If you can live with that, it
> is a perfectly valid solution. My view this is that it is stupid to buy an
> expensive camera built for speed, then cripple it by economizing on the
> cards!

Agreed see supra

> If your style of shooting requires only being on the single shot mode, then
> SD UHS I or CF cards would do, and consequently your method is the way to
> go, with the caveat that you probably should put away both cards once they
> are full in order to have two backups.
>
> I am a bit careful in all this because I frequently travel to the boondocks
> where nothing is available if anything should go wrong (I take two battery
> chargers, two card readers, two camera bodies, etc - in other words,
> backups for everything!).

So do we - Alice bought herself an XT-20 that matches my XT-2 for that purpose.

When traveling, I find weight is the worst impediment these days. Hence the fuji stubble, and the zooms ;-)

Amities
Philippe