[Leica] Norway in monochrome

Howard L Ritter Jr hlritter at twc.com
Fri Aug 31 20:42:45 PDT 2018

From our recent cruise to the fjords of Norway, some B&W images converted from originals taken with Sony A7Rii and 24-70 zoom fitted with polarizer.

http://www.gallery.leica-users.org/v/hlritter/Norway/ <http://www.gallery.leica-users.org/v/hlritter/Norway/>

Two are from the Nordkapp, North Cape, which Norway bills as the northernmost point on the European mainland. It’s on the mainland only if you’re willing to overlook the fact that it’s on Magerøya Is., which is on the shallow shelf of the Norwegian mainland mass and is connected to it with a 6-km tunnel. And it’s the northernmost point only if you’re willing to overlook the fact that a peninsula 3 km west extends 1.5 km further north, but isn’t accessible by tour bus or car; you have to hike 10 km. So Nordkapp is the northernmost point in Europe reachable by road. Asterisk, asterisk. But undeniably spectacular, unlike its competition.

The other is from a boat on the Naerøyfjord, Narrow Fjord, a branch far up the Sognefjord, deep inside Norway. We are just out from the town of Gudvangen at the head of the Naerøyfjord. In this image, blue-subtraction during greyscale conversion simulates the effect of a Wratten 29 filter on blue sky with clouds.

C&C welcome.

—howard