[Leica] moving beyond Adobe

Philippe photo.philippe.amard at gmail.com
Thu Apr 5 12:42:00 PDT 2018

> Le 5 avr. 2018 à 21:26, Brian Reid <reid at mejac.palo-alto.ca.us> a écrit :
>
> Ome thing I've learned from watching all of these upgrade questions is that many people do what I do with Adobe software, which is to cling to the last pre-CC version, because CC veersions all have monthly fees.

I tried (hard) to, too, to no avail.

> I use Photoshop CS6, InDesign CS6, Lightroom 5.7, and Dreamweaver CS6. I cannot bear the thought of signing up for monthly fees.

I finally bit the bullet, what does that fee mean compared with the cost of the gear, not to refer to chocolate gifts that are in season here.

> I wonder if Affinity is ready to be real competition for Adobe. I've used Photoshop for at least 20 years, and I can do anything with it. My fingers and spinal cord know how to use it. Ditto for Dreamweaver. Once a year I have to consult the manual for InDesign, but it is also an integral part of my life. Lightroom just works; there's not much of a learning curve.

Absolutely

> I'm tempted to buy some Affinity products and try them out, but I haven't done it yet. Mostly for lack of time to learn something new. Have any of you tried to let go of Adobe, and, if so, where did you go and how did you like it?

I’ve tried some of the competitors’ offers (Capture one, ON1, Silk Pix, etc.), but always found they missed something. LR is a fully integrated suite for the photog and the layman -I’m of the latter form- that has no match so far. LR CC is for 2.0 kids playing with iPhone btw. So I wnet to LR CCC (read Classic, that one with the compulsory life rent you call monthly fees ...)

I don’t have stakes in their business. I fear the day when they have a real and total monopoly. But I am lazy and am sticking to my lower instincts.

So long as you have a stand alone version and keep the same camera LR is fine.

Upgrade your camera, and only the future will tell …

Just as with OS’s …

Amities
Philippe