[Leica] IMG: Macro Lens with Extension

Jim Nichols jhnichols at lighttube.net
Fri Sep 22 11:24:14 PDT 2017

The Leica Elmarit-R 60 Macro lens comes with an add-on rear extension
for ultra-closeup work.  This is difficult to handle hand-held, but I
tried it, none-the-less.  This requires placing the lens just a few
inches from the subject and moving slightly to achieve focus.  This
first image of a bee is the full image vertically, with only the ends
cropped to remove extraneous plant matter.

http://www.gallery.leica-users.org/v/OldNick/20170922-DSCF5375-1.jpg.html

The second image is cropped further, but gave me the best detail I have
been able to obtain of the Woolly Aphid, whose length is only about 2mm.

http://www.gallery.leica-users.org/v/OldNick/20170922-DSCF5292.JPG.html

Better images would be achievable with the use of a tripod, but that is
not possible with these small visitors to the Buddleia bush.