[Leica] Apple scam

lrzeitlin at aol.com lrzeitlin at aol.com
Tue Mar 7 10:13:01 PST 2017

If you use a Mac and have an Apple ID, be sure to check your credit card bill for unauthorized charges. On Feb. 24 my Apple account was charged $1799 USD for the purchase of a Macbook. The charge was from India. A few days later I was charged a similar amount for laptop order placed in Singapore. It was impossible for me to have placed either order since I was in hospital for an operation at the time. Apple fortunately refused to honor either order and disabled my account. However I did receive an official looking communication from Apple requesting my ID and credit card information to reinstate the account.

I called Apple directly and was told that it was a phishing message and that I should call my credit card company to terminate any Apple payments on my account.

Apparently a large number of Apple IDs have been hijacked and sold in Asia and the Indian subcontinent. I was fortunate in detecting the false order immediately. Even so, it was a lot of trouble. If you are not diligent it may cost you considerable time and money.

Larry Z